If you’ve ever gone on a picnic and stepped in a swarm of ants, you know how annoying they can be. When they invade your home, it is sometimes difficult to eradicate them and stop the infestation. Ants, despite their small size, are tough and intelligent insects. They can appear out of nowhere and take over your pantry, cabinets, and pretty much anyplace else they can find food or water. You might be shocked at some of the interesting facts about ants if you believe you know a lot about them.
Did you know?
- Ants Lifespans Can Vary Greatly: Ants are colonial in nature, and while the queen of a colony can live for up to 20 years, most worker ants only live for a year at most.
- Ants March with a Trail: Have you ever noticed how ants often travel in a line? But how do they know where to go and how far to travel? Ants use pheromones to communicate with one another, letting them know how to travel to a food source or return to the colony. This is how ants can go about 1000 feet from their colony and successfully return.
- Ants Are Incredibly Strong: It is not uncommon to see an ant carrying a breadcrumb on its back for great distances. Ants can carry up to twenty times their weight.
- The Ant Population Is Huge: There are over 10,000 ant species in the globe, totaling trillions of individuals. Only a fraction of these species are the most common species in the pest control industry.
- Ants Dominate Each other: Many ant species capture and force weaker ants from weaker colonies to work for them as slaves.
Vogelsang Pest Management offers various pest control services for homeowners and businesses throughout St. Charles, Lincoln, and St. Louis counties in Missouri.